snow days

The temperature at this moment says 13 degrees. The wind chill -3. There is a lot of snow predicted for the next several days.

Today, I couldn't help but think how lovely it would be if adults got snow days. A friend pointed out to me that sometimes, with enough snow, they do.

Not it my world.

Homeless shelters don't close.

I am proud of the work that the Lord has given me to do every single day.

I am proud to work at a godly place that swings the doors wide to broken and hurting.

I am proud to assist people when they are in the darkest seasons of their life.

But it is nights like this when I am most reminded of the most basic reason I am proud of what I do.

Tonight, people who may have otherwise frozen to death on the streets will have a shelter from the cold and the snow. Tonight loving and caring individuals will give them warm showers and blankets while also speaking life and truth over them. Tonight people will rest their head in safety and protection.

On the flip side...

Days like this also remind me just how helpless my job makes me feel somedays, knowing their are people I will never be able to convince to come inside.  My heart breaks when I see moms toting around little children wearing barely any coat or no socks. I ache when I see an addict so messed up the she wanders away from help in the dark and freezing weather to go find a place where she can score.

This world is a broken place filled with broken people. I am blessed to be called to serve them. Though I cannot reach every person or save every life or soul that passes in front of me, I am grateful for what I do get to do.

So when the rest of the world shuts down, if it is in my power, I will bundle up, pack a bag (if necessary) scrape my car and drive slowly and carefully downtown to a beacon of light in the middle of the city.

Pray for the homeless during this season.

Pray for those who serve them.

Pray most of all that through kindness and compassion people will come to know and embrace the life changing power of Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

adorning

lost causes...

dude maintain