lost causes...

This morning I took a client to the hospital for some testing.

It was simple, run of the mill, but for weeks before this she has been so grumpy, because so was so afraid of what the test would reveal. What they did reveal was that all was well.

What struck me was when she came back into the room where I was sitting and waiting for her and she roused from her anesthesia she looked like a little girl.

The woman is anything but a little girl. She has lived a hard life. Her voice is raspy and gruff from damage. She has struggle with addiction as long as I have known her but is walking in victory right now.

As she lay in her bed eating crackers and sipping orange juice she smiled at me and said,

"Thank you Miss Linda, for being here for me."

She is 62 years old and could find no one else come take her to the hospital to have this done. As she smiled at me from her hospital bed I was slightly overwhelmed. The Lord has entrusted me with such precious people.

People that the rest of the world forget about. Truthfully I could have given up on this woman years ago. You see, she has passed through our doors many times since I started my job.

One night in particular she was over visiting from the supportive housing unit she lived at across the street. She was so drunk she hardly knew where she was.

I worried about her getting home and, long story short that was for good reason. I walked her home that night and as we attempted to go across the four lanes of one way traffic on the crossing signal, she fell down in the road and couldn't get back up.

I vividly remember standing in the middle of the wrote, in the dark, staring down for lanes of oncoming traffic. It was a little scary.

Today, as she lay in the bed, I thought of when she lay in the street. She is still a grumpy old lady. But she has come so far.

I am so blessed to call people like this my friends. I am blessed to get to pour my life out to make theirs fuller. I am blessed that they trust me and allow me to be a part of their world.

These people teach me that there is no pit so deep God isn't deeper still. There are no lost causes. Never quit fighting until the battle is over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

adorning

dude maintain