old files, old faces, old friends...

When I used to work third shift, one of my tasks was to go through a box of cards each night and mark the card of all current clients to show that they were in shelter for the night.

I remember when I first started staring at the names at the beginning of a year and knowing a face to match every name. I have a pretty decent memory especially when something visual is involved. I wondered to myself when that would change. I wondered when the names would ring a bell but some of the faces would be lost in sea of clients. That day came and went in my life rather unceremoniously.

A part of my job now is that as the New Year approaches I need to get all the client files ready for a new year and move out the old files to make way for the new.

I started this process today, there was a lot of heavy lifting involved and reorganization to be done. As I moved the files my eyes caught many names of clients who have passed through the doors during my time at the mission.

Some of them would be the kind we call "frequent fliers" who shuffle through our doors time and again.

Other names I looked at with curiosity, wondering how they are doing and what their life is like now. How are their children, do they have more? I bet they are getting so big. Are they stable? Are they using? Are they still struggling with depression? So many questions about people who I invested hours in as they passed through my life for a moment.

Still other names I don't know, maybe they only stayed a day or two or a week. Perhaps during their short time there they were quiet and didn't need the extra attention of a Lead Supervisor or a Case Manager. Maybe they came to stay just to verify they were homeless and get some assistance from local helping agencies. Maybe they came and we're terrified and left after only one day because sleeping in their car was a better option. Maybe they patched things up with a family member who opened their home to let them come and stay while they got stable.

Then their were names that brought sadness to my heart. They were individuals that I knew and loved. It had passed from life into death unwept, unhonored and unsung.

All these files, names and people got me thinking about all the people that pass in and out of our lives each day.

What kind of impact are we having on them?

When they encounter me, do they encounter Jesus?

They should.

The weight of these files were very heavy but I realized as I lugged them down in the the dungeonesque basement the actual weight that accompanied all those files. The Lord had allowed all those names and faces to pass through my life.

Some came and settled for a long time. Some passed through quickly.
Some passed from life into death.

The common denominator in the whole equation is that they all passed through our mission looking for help.

More than anything, without even knowing it maybe, they were looking for Jesus.

We all are.

We have a void that can only be filled by the Lord.

I have watched my clients try to fill it with, stuff, relationships, drugs and so many other unsatisfying things.

I have tried to fill that void myself in many unproductive ways but the Lord keeps showing me that He is enough.

I want to live a life that says He is enough so that when people cross my path I overflow with that message. Whether it is for a moment, day, week, month or years I hope and pray that people encounter Jesus when they encounter me.

As I looked at those few files today of clients I knew that were no longer in this world, it struck me how important it is to use whatever time you have with people.

I want to be obedient.

I want to be intentional.

I want to share Christ, while I have the chance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

adorning

lost causes...

dude maintain